A lively debate on CBDCs and the digital euro
Ronald te Velde
Connective Payments, October 2023
A wide range of angles
Taking various angles of the potential impact of the digital euro made the panel discussion very lively on a wide range of topics, such as:
- How will commercial banks play a role and does a digital euro positively impact financial stability?
- What would consumers value, taking into account financial inclusion, privacy and user experience of alternative payment means?
- Does the market need a centrally controlled digital payment means or would a decentralized solution better fit in the current times?
- Will the digital euro be programmable and if so, what would be the ethical impact?
Most of these topics are covered in detail in the series of articles we have published over time on the topic of CBDCs and the digital euro (see box).
Connective Payments CBDC file
- The digital euro: balancing act of a CBDC
- DNB on CBDC and the digital euro
- Are the risks of CBDCs exaggerated?
- E-Krona: Europe’s CBDC early adopter
- Finally: a Dutch debate on the digital euro
- The digital euro: turmoil in the final stage of the investigation phase
- A lively debate on CBDCs and the digital euro
The digital euro has entered the preparation phase
Among several documents, the ECB published a one page overview aimed at European citizens, presenting the digital euro as “the future of money”.
However, the ECB has once again made it clear that this preparation phase does not mean a decision on the issuance of the digital euro. That final decision will only be considered by the Governing Council once the EU’s legislative process has been completed.