The Open Banking Expo Awards 2021
Eppo Heemstra, Connective Payments
Open Banking Expo Awards 2021
On July 15, a special competition came to a conclusion. The Open Banking Expo Awards, that was the name of the battlefield where dozens of companies presented their innovative services. There was one common denominator: all entries use Open Banking / PSD2 technology. In other words: new services that are based on banking account data, such as debits and credits. In a highly entertaining finale hosted by Rob Broderick, “Ireland’s finest hip hop musical comedian”, the winners were announced in no fewer than 16 categories. The Open Banking Expo Awards, an initiative of CRIF and Equifax, sponsored by a large group of event and media partners, is the most prestigious event worldwide in the field of Open Banking and PSD2.
Actual & factual
The international jury was not satisfied with roaring, non-committal stories full of promises. Without exception, the winners had proven to be actually successful. The participating companies were assessed for innovative application of technology and high user satisfaction. David Beardmore, EcoSystem Development Director at the OBIE (Open Banking Implementation Entity) emphasized during the event that the jury was all about actual, factual impact.
Anglo-Saxon countries lead the way
Buddy Payment, the Dutch Fintech in the field of debt counseling, to which we previously devoted a case study in our Insights section, was among the finalists in the Open Banking for Good category. Ultimately, among the winners were many Anglo-Saxon contenders. Once again this seemed proof that the Anglo-Saxon countries, and the UK in particular, are leading the way in opening up the payments market – and delivering innovative, valuable services based on it.
Winners per category
- Best us of Open Banking data – Snoop.
- Best customer experience – Starling Bank
- Open Banking for Good Award – Yapily Salad Money
- Best Third Party Provider (TPPs) – Payit, by NatWest
- Best Open Banking payments application – Nuapay
- Best Banking-as-a-Service solution – Bottomline Technologies
- Best digital identity solution – Silentdata
- Best Open Finance innovation – Moneyhub
- Best Sandbox – OzoneAPI
- #PoweroftheNetwork Award – Ordo
- Best App proposition – consumer – Snoop
- Best App proposition – commercial – Anna
- Best Open Banking partnership – consumer – Moneyhub – Mercer Money
- Best Open Banking partnership – commercial – Ezbob / Metro Bank
- Open Banking pioneer award, individual – Sam Seaton, CEO of Moneyhub
- Open Banking pioneer award, organisation – Salt Edge
Expanding in Europe with a PSD2 license
Download your free copy of our whitepaper and learn how to start your PSD2 / Open Banking service in Europe, by applying for a PSD2 license in The Netherlands.